Their work is supported by an increasing body of study undertaken by academics and industry safety scientists. Their combined activity covers a wide range of areas including:
- Analysing safety data for industry, national and international trending and benchmarking;
- Regulatory reporting and governance;
- Developing models to predict the effect of changes in technical or human performance on overall system safety;
- Studying human and technical equipment reliability and failure rates;
- Methodologies and frameworks to support the development of safety cases;
- Automated techniques for extracting safety learning from data;
- New systems, techniques and processes for analysing and improving safety performance.